Friday, March 8, 2013

VATICAN DISPATCHES: Scene in an Italian restaurant

Cardinal O'Malley of Boston enjoys pizza after cardinals' meetings
Cardinal O'Malley enjoys reading newspaper on a flight to Rome.
Photo credit: Cardin
al Seán's blog

VATICAN CITYHeads up, wannabe reporters: when reporting overseas, do NOT forget your camera even when you go out for a bite.

I was warned by the concierge at my Rome hotel March 6 that the pizzeria across the street was a favourite hang-out for cardinals, but I didn't heed the warning and left my camera in my room.


"Right," I thought, "as if a prince of the Church would hang out in a crowded, homey, Italian restaurant."

But lo and behold, when I walked in and sat down, a bearded man with a brown habit was only a table away.


My brain kept saying, 'You know that man.'  And guess what? I did know his face, at least. The friar tucking into a pizza was none other than Cardinal Seán O'Malley of Boston.

His distinctive accent gave his identity away as he sat with other self-described "Boston pilgrims."

"We brought our dear cardinal with us," one Bostonian said.

It was nice to see a prelate with enormous responsibilities having fun after a hard day's work at the Vatican.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment about this post.

Rules for commenting

Posts and comments to The Busy Catholic must be marked by Christian charity and respect for the truth. They should be on topic and presume the good will of other contributors. Discussion should take place primarily from a faith perspective. We reserve the right to end discussion on any topic any time we feel the discussion is no longer productive.